The focus for April was using a rubbing to create texture and pattern. When I joined the Textile Challenge Group I added a couple for rules for myself, firstly to make something of the challenge rather than just a sample, and secondly to try not to buy anything to make the piece - I have so many things on hand and lots of projects in mind, so I kill two birds with one stone, I challenge myself and make a project too.
I had a carved wooden box, so I decided to use this for the rubbing. A friend had given me some Markal oilsticks (and yes you know who!) so I thought maybe a cushion would be nice. The fabric is a deep red and black shot taffeta, remains from an evening skirt which I made for my daughter.
The rubbings done I backed the fabric with batting, cut a template from the rubbing shape and stitched around in machine saddle stitch to give the quilted ovals. I used a decorative stitch to go around the edges of the Markal shapes and then I applied some beads and just a little hand stitching.
I applied a zip in the back of the cushion, by following this YouTube video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKn_QrvU-U
Then I put the front and back of the cushion, wrong sides together and piped the edges first with some drab old gold fabric, then I bound the edges as I would for a patchwork quilt.
No comments:
Post a Comment